Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Chicken in every pot

Lately I've been doing a lot of reading on the depression. In this, I found a great website with recipes from that era - http://174.129.234.45/Depression_Cooking/Welcome.html Clara has wonderful Youtube videos that we could all learn from.

My own Grandmother, was a year younger than Clara, and while she was from a completely different background (Swedish and Finnish), and lived across the nation from her, their cooking styles were very similar. Potatoes, fried hotdogs, and lots of simple ingredients went into their food.

In this time of economic uncertainty, cooking at home is even more important. As is, knowing how to make this food last.

So yesterday I bought a chicken. It was a 4 pound chicken, at .89 cent a pound. I roasted it at 350 degrees till it was an internal temperature of 165 degrees, and then served it with potatoes fried with onions, and corn. Simple, wholesome food. It served 3 adults, and 2 kids, and then went into the fridge.

Today, it came out again, and I picked off 95% of the remaining meat. The bones went into a crockpot with a quart of diced tomatoes, 2 cups of rice, the leftover corn, a large onion, some carrots and half a bag of frozen veggies. Along with that I added Italian seasoning, and a bunch of garlic. After 3 hours, I took out the carcass, and picked off the meat again. It'll cook for another 3 hours or so.

Tonight, we had chicken sandwiches for dinner. Tomorrow, the meat I originally moved will get mixed with the leftover gravy, and served over the leftover potatoes.

This one chicken, could theoretically feed my family dinners for a week.

Total price: 2# onion - 1.00, chicken 4.00, 3# yukon gold potatoes 2.50, can of tomatoes 1.50, rice and veggies 1.50. So a total of $10.50 for 7 dinners.

No comments: