Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Italian Beef Roast

I was shopping the other day and found some gorgeous tomatoes. They just looked summery, something we all need! The problem is, I am not a fan of them, and heavy tomato sauce isn't a favorite around here. 2 days later I realized I really needed to use them.. So, I made a sauce and added it to a roast. Healthy, full of vitamins, and not too tomato sauce like.

Italian? I'm not so sure, but it tasted good...

3 cloves garlic
4 fresh tomatoes
1 shallot
1/2 c yellow onion
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Italian seasoning
potatoes
1/2 # fresh carrots (I used baby carrots)
3# beef roast
Frozen veggies
garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste

Chop the garlic, tomatoes, shallot and onion and saute in the olive oil.

Turn to low and let simmer to break the tomatoes down.

Slice some potatoes (your choice, I actually used one sweet potato since I had that on hand.
Place those in a crock pot and season them along with the carrots.

Remove the tomato mixture from the pan and pour over the potatoes and carrots.

Sear the roast on all sides and add to the crock pot. Put a bit of water in the pan and pour over the roast and veggies.

Cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 2-3.

I added frozen peas and corn about 1/2 an hour before we were ready to eat. It turned into a really flavorful roast without a heavy tomato flavoring. Just very robust.

Total cost for the meal - around 13.00, since winter veggie prices are high. But there was enough for 3 people for dinner, lunch, and dinner again the next day :)

No comments: