Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mayan Chicken


Here's tonight's dinner, slowcooking in the crockpot. I know it doesn't look good now, but it will be wonderful when it's cooked - in about 5 hours.

Crockpots are amazing. Anyone who works, or is busy should have a crockpot. I actually have 2. This one, is my bigger one, the Hamilton Beach store n go. I love, love this crockpot. In it, I can make a wonderful meal while I'm at work, or while I'm working on other things. If I want it done in a few hours, I set it on high. If I want it done for the evening and I'm heading out the door, it goes onto low.

Today, it's set on low and here's what's in it:



Yes - this is right - this is a savory dish. But we have:

1 baking chicken, about 5 lbs
Cinnamon (about 1 TBSP sprinkled)
Ginger (approx 1 tsp)
Paprika (1 tsp)
Garlic powder (1 TBSP)
sliced garlic (I believe in garlic - especially during the winter to boost your immune system!)
cocoa powder (1/2 tsp)
soy sauce (2 TBSP)
1 cup of water

Believe it or not the cocoa powder (which of course isn't sweet) and the cinnamon and ginger will offset the flavors. This may be closer to an Asian chicken than a Mayan one, but the chocolate and cinnamon reminded me of Mexican chocolate.

It will cook all day, already the house smells amazing. I'll pair it up with some whole grain rice, and veggies for dinner. Cost involved: $5.40 for the chicken, $1.00 for garlic and spice, .50 cents for rice, $2.00 for frozen veggies. Total of $8.90.

No comments: